Saturday, November 6, 2010

My Patio

I know I've said this before but I love my patio. It's a little oasis of green in the desert. Now those of you who know our place in N. B. probably won't understand how I can be so enamored with this little square of ceramic tile. But having something growing and flourishing in the heat and dryness is really quite remarkable and rewarding.



I've planted my vegetable garden as well. I have beets, basil and lettuce seedlings. I decided against tomatoes and peppers this year. They take up too much room in my little bed, and I always get white fly. I water carefully each morning so that they don't dry up while I'm at work. As soon as I get home I hurry around back to see how they made it through the day.




After I swept the patio off this morning, I thought that everything looked so pretty and deserving of a picture.



Yes Sheila, the portulaca is yours.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

Nice, Lil!! Everything looks great and I know exactly how you feel about your acreage in the desert.
One of the best things about gardens is the opportunity to share, isn't it? So it is great to see the portulaca from 2 years ago moving almost into heirloom category:-) When you get here, you will see I have nothing but sad little orchids on my balcony ... although one of them is kind enough to rebloom for me. Otherwise I would feel hopeless as a gardener here ... in the land of rain and humidity! Maybe you will give me hints when you get here.
The other part is not wanting to invest too much time,money, and energy ....

Lois said...

I've been a regular blogging fool this fall haven't I? I don't know whats gotten into me. I'm looking forward to seeing your balcony garden,and seeing you.

Lois said...

I've been a regular blogging fool this fall haven't I? I don't know whats gotten into me. I'm looking forward to seeing your balcony garden,and seeing you.

Sheila said...

Don't get your hopes up about the bedraggled orchids and the pothos I swiped from the grounds of RMIT ... ut as for the visit, YES> Errol will arrive the day before you and Dave, so we will all be together!