Thursday, November 25, 2010

Advent Season

Here in the land of perpetual sunshine, I forget that it is winter in Canada and that Christmas is approaching. So imagine my surprise when I arrived at church this morning to discover that this is the first "Friday" in Advent.


Edie, the wife of the priest, prepares lovely banners for the church calendar. The Pentecost banners are green. Advent banners are purple. Not what I would call Christmas colors, but lovely all the same.




Just to let you know what Christmas weather is like in Doha, I took pictures of these zinnias outside the church this morning. They were swarmed by honey bees. You can see them on the flowers if you look closely.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Hi, Lil

Love this post and remember well Edie's banners. I love the Advent colours ... blue or purple for repentance, contemplation, waiting and fasting, pink on the third Sunday for joy and white for purity. I am not sure when the green and red for Christmas came about, but I imagine the Advent colours precede them.