Friday, November 5, 2010

The Church of the Epiphany

The holy day in the Muslim world is Friday, so the weekend is Friday and Saturday. Back to work bright and early on Sunday morning. Even after 2 and a half years, I still get the days of the week mixed up from time to time, and think that Sunday is Monday. Old habits die hard.

Friday is church day for me. I have been attending the Church of the Epiphany, an Anglican church that is part of the Diocese of Cyprus and the Gulf. It is held in one of the Gymnasiums at the English Speaking School of Doha.



I enjoy the Anglican service very much. I especially like taking communion every week, kneeling at the alter, and the common cup. I don't know why I appreciate the Anglican communion service so much. After a life time of grape juice and cut up white bread, maybe the wine and wafer seem more authentic. Or maybe it is so meaningful just because I'm in a Muslim country. At any rate, the Church of the Epiphany has become a special part of my life here in Doha.

4 comments:

remlap42 said...

Where's the band?

Lois said...

No band. Not even plans to have a band. Maybe that's one reason why I enjoy it so much--no music fights.

Lois said...

No band. Not even plans to have a band. Maybe that's one reason why I enjoy it so much--no music fights.

Sheila said...

Thanks, Lois
This blog brings back memories. Being a church lady with you was a great part of living in Doha. I had wondered if the parish had moved to Church City yet. I will always remember the diversity of that congregation (and the kids!)
Nice to see you are posting more blogs this year!!