Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Doha Fellowship and Other Acts of Worship


Dorai and Nithila drive up to my villa in their Honda 4x4 just before 10 o'clock on Friday mornings. They come to pick me up for church. I have made their acquaintance through a friend in Canada, a connection that has proved to be so beneficial to me. Dorai and Nithila are from Tamila in India. They came to Qatar from New York City 4 years ago when Nithila was offered a position on the faculty of Weil Cornell Medical School. They are much closer to their homeland here, and Dorai visits India about every 2 months. Nithila amazes me with her ability to navigate the city. She effortlessly turns here and there, making u-turns at busy intersections with no visible trepidation whatsoever.

Most Fridays we attend the Doha Fellowship, a multi-cultural congregation of about 250 which meets in a villa turned meeting-place that has been provided by a wealthy sheik. Indian and African women in colorful national dress brighten up the drab interior of the villa. A variety of accents can be heard--South African, Australian, Indian, British. One woman said to me that it is just like heaven. She may be right. The music is loud and contemporary and is enjoyed with much bouncing and hand waving. Throughout the service various individuals in the congregation take the microphone to speak. I have yet to determine whether this participation is planned or spontaneous.

We have also attended the Anglican church, of the Diocese of Cypress and the Gulf, which meets in the gymnasium of the Doha English School. This is also the meeting place of the Qatar Natural History Group, I found out later. But that is a story for another time.The Bishop attended that morning to officiate at a confirmation ceremony. About half a dozen young people, all Indian I believe, and all dressed in brilliant white were to be dedicated to the Christian life. The Bishop was also in the city to conduct negotiations concerning the construction of a new church building on land donated by the state. His picture appeared in the Gulf Times that very morning. I find it surprising that the government of this Muslem country is so supportive of Christian congregations. I wonder if it is a subtle kind of control, this designation of specific spaces for Christian worship. It came as another surprise that there are several thousand practicing Christians in the country. It stands to reason considering that only about a quarter of the population of the country is actually Qatari.

Last Friday I had the privilege of joining in worship with a group of Tamil Christians. The only word that I understood was hallelujah, but the language of worship is essentially universal, and I was made to feel very much at home. I must have appeared very drab in my western style clothes and with my light hair and blue eyes as I sat on the floor surrounded by beautiful dark skinned women with shining black eyes dressed in brightly colored saris or shalwar kameeze. I had been seated for only a few moments before a woman behind me leaned forward to offer me an English Bible and a whispered interpretation of the scripture being read. Each time the minister announced another scripture, the woman would whisper to me in English where to find the passage. Before long the women all around me were joining in with whispered instructions. There were no language barriers for me that morning. And likewise no cultural barriers as I worshiped with my Tamil sisters. Following the service lunch was served, hot spicey Indian food followed by a sweet rice pudding. I will return to that congregation. These are people that I want to know better.
Thanks to everyone who have made comments on this blog. It's nice to know that you are out there and following the story. Yes, I do have 3 children--two by birth, and one by marriage. Take care and keep your stick on the ice.

3 comments:

D and V Palmer said...

Isn't this interesting. Pastor Rob was talking this morning in his sermon about Bible study groups he was a part of in B.C. and how the were multi-cultural and had people of different denominations in them.
Christs love reaches across the barriers of culture, race or tradition. He even loves those who may not no it, like those of Bhudist or Islam religions, just as much as he loves us. Neat, huh?

D and V Palmer said...

Yes, I know it's "know it". I can spell I just can't proof read.

remlap42 said...

Ha--Dean doesn't now how to spell. :)

But he sure can sing -- you should have heard him last night at the halloween party. Mark didn't show -- so I guess my plan didn't pan out -- oh well :)

Glad you have found lots of good local churchin', Lois. Here's the link to some good podcasts I listen to online -- this guy, Matt Chandler, is really good:

http://www.thevillagechurch.net/resources/sermons.html

You know, you can never get enough churchin'.

JBP