Wednesday, October 1, 2008



I have been in Qatar for six weeks now and have finally figured out how to start this blog. Many Boomers, I realize, are more than happy to frig with gadgets and gizmos until they have it right. This Boomer has little patience with technotoys so if it takes more than one try to get it right, it gets put by the wayside. Like cell phones, for instance. I have not discovered how to store numbers in my mobile ( the life line of any expat worth her salt!) and have been unable this morning to contact a friend visiting from Dubai. If I learn anything from these few years in the Middle East, it will be to appreciate the wonders of communication technology.

If anything will motivate me to learn, it will be the need to be in touch with my kids. I have mastered Skype. If you haven't tried it you really should. It can put you right in the living rooms of those you love. All three children have had a personal tour of the villa, have observed their mother scratch and stretch and yawn through a conversation. The only deterrent to Skype is seeing yourself broadcast on that little screen to the bottom left--what a mess my hair is, and I'm looking so old! If you are particularly good looking, Skype should be a ball!

I have a few reasons for wanting to write this blog, not the least of which is to share some of my experiences with friends and colleagues in Canada. It will also offer me a chance to record my reflections, and determine what I really think about this Middle East experience. From what I have experienced so far, I realize that there is so much to learn, so many insights to gain. Finally, it will be practice writing, and much of it won't be that great. So be forewarned if you decide to follow this story to any degree. I'll be as forth right as I can--the writing will not be literary.

So let's begin.

We arrived in the oppressive heat of summer and were very quickly engaged in outfitting our villa. With the help of our wonderful driver, we spent two days scanning the malls for everything from groceries and sundries to towels , scrub pail and mop, dishes,pots and pans,super king size sheets, everything needed for housekeeping. Within the first week we were feeling pretty settled, having filled the cupboard and fridge with food, rearranged the furniture to suit us, and connected to internet and TV satelite and cable. Our compound is complete with fitness room and pool, and we were not long establishing a schedule of workouts and swims, mostly in the evening when the temperatures dropped to the low 40's.

Orientation for work started within a week of arriving. I've got to give the University of Calgary a lot of credit for the manner in which they receive new staff. Orientation was thourough and fun, and included the entire faculty who have only been here for a year after all, and who pioneered the project in Qatar, stumbling along by trial and error. It made us all feel welcome, and a part of a growing team.

Classes have been on now for 4 weeks. Working together and with help from the faculty in Calgary, course syllabi were constructed, lectures and activities prepared, and teaching begun. It has been a camel ride in many ways, but so is life in Doha. More about that in another entry.

This week is the holiday Eid Fitr, to mark the end of the holy month of Ramadan. Many expats use the opportunity to travel out of country and our compound is somewhat deserted. Several of us opted to "discover Doha" this week, and we have been having a good time at that. One thing that Doha has in spades is delicious, well priced international food. The Garden restaurant has wonderful authentic Indian food and great service in plain surroundings and at a remarkably low price. Most every type of food is represented here, and it is my goal to try them all.

More about life in Doha to come, but for now I will post some pictures--if I can figure out how.


2 comments:

remlap42 said...

Hey Lo,

Angela just forwarded your email and blog address to me. It's great...look at you!!! Skyping and the whole bit. One thing that confused me a bit in this post:

"All three children have had a personal tour of the villa, have observed their mother scratch and stretch and yawn through a conversation."


"3" children? Is there something I don't know?

Unknown said...

I was kind of wondering the same thing too! 3 children?

Try to fan some of the warm weather over here too -- it's 0 degrees right now!

Looking forward to more posts!