Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Fiddlehead


It's time to start gardening. The weather is starting to cool, the sun not so hot, and I'm ready to plant some seeds and get some annual color on my patio. Dave had not been to the nursery out by the camel race track so we made the trip this morning. I think he was impressed by the rows and rows of green houses full of seedlings, and large mature plants. It is still a bit early for them, I think, because there wasn't a great selection and many of the seedlings were very tiny. I found some marigolds and coleus, as well as another plant with a pink flower--not sure the name. My prize, though, was a large plant for my entry way, to replace one that deteriorated beyond recovery during the summer. It looks a bit like a fern, but the leaves are not feathery. In the center are new, not yet emerged, leaves that are curled up like fiddle heads. I could not resist. It makes a lovely addition to my plant collection, and reminds me of home.

They are also building new green houses out there. I found it interesting that they had to chew their way through the cement like earth in order to prepare the place for them.

No comments: